We have made the exotic and exquisite art of henna painting very accessible. With a little practice, anyone can make stunning henna tattoos.
Please check out:
Make your own henna paste
You can buy henna paste cones easily, including from our webshop; if you are beginning to learn, this would be a good way to start. However, it is best to buy good-quality natural henna powder and freshly make the paste yourself.
- Natural henna powder
- Sifting box (or you can make one with an old stocking and a plastic container)
- Bowl (or container)
- Lemon juice
- Sugar (honey or jaggery are even better)
- Plastic bag or wrap
7 easy steps:
- Sift the henna to make sure there are no large particles or lumps.
- Add about 1 teaspoon of sugar to the bowl.
- Add about 100g of henna powder to the bowl. Mix it well.
- Add a little lemon juice (almost drop-by-srop) and keep mixing. Keep stirring and adding juice till you have added about 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Keep stirring and add water till you have the consistency a little thinner than mashed potatoes. Exact amount of water will differ for different types and even batches of henna powder.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap or bag, and let it rest till it starts becoming brownish. It will usually take 4-12 hours depending on temperature. The hotter the day is, the faster will the henna paste be ready. At about 30-degrees Celcius, it should take about 4 hours.
- Your henna paste is ready to use!
For more henna tips and techniques join one of our henna courses.